From Planet Computers
This page provides information about running Debian on your Gemini.
Setting the right keyboard mapping
On Debian, the keyboard mapping can be selected directly in the Login screen, as shown in the following screenshot:
Gemini user default password
The Gemini user default password is 'gemini'.
Configuring WIFI and Blutooth
You can configure your WIFI and Bluetooth settings using the 'Connman UI Setup' application, that you can find under the Internet settings, as in the following screenshot:
- You will find information about your Gemini Debian system here: https://github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboard-apps/wiki/DebianTP2.
Linux boot notes
The multi-boot mechanism works as follows.
Starting from a switched OFF Gemini, press the Esc (On) key to start the unit until the Gemini vibrates. Once you feel the vibration you can choose the boot mode by pressing the following key combination:
- Boot 1: This is the default booting option when no keys or buttons are pressed.
- Recovery Mode: Esc (On) is pressed. This will always boot into recovery mode.
- Boot 2: silver right-end side button is pressed.
- Boot 3: Both Esc(On) key and silver right-end side button are pressed at the same time
Keep the keys/buttons pressed until the screen turns ON.
Updating Android on a Android/Linux Gemini
While your Android-only Gemini can be updated with the over the air update, for an Android/Linux system you will have to update your device manually via FlashTool. It is important to note that in order to flash your customised Gemini you will need to have your associated Scatter file that you generated using the partition tool when flashing your unit.
Provided you have a copy of your scatter file, to update your Android you need to:
- Install FlashTool - refer to the Android Flashing Guide if needed
- Download a recent Gemini Android firmware from the Gemini Firmware page
- Unzip the Gemini firmware and copy your customised scatter file inside the firmware folder
- Now, run the FlashTool application, load your customised scatter file, select the Download Only option in the drop down and make sure you select only the system partition as in the following screenshot:
- To start the flashing process, just click the big Download button, connect your Gemini to your PC and restart the Gemini. Once booting, the flash tool will detect the unit and will start flashing the device with the selected firmware.
To update your Android